Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A tavern brawl? Why didn't you wake me?


Ok, I picked up two books by Terry Pratchett simple because I stumbled across him on goodreads.com. I was just reading random quotes from him and figured that I would dig his books. Shocking news: I was right!

First up is The Color of Magic. This starts off the Discworld series, which, as far as I can tell, includes nine hundred books. This world is flat, and being held up by four giant elephants that stand on an enormous turtle. In The Color of Magic, we follow Twoflower, Discworld's first tourist, and Rincewind, Discworld's worst wizard, as they travel around and cheat death numorous times.

One of the things I most liked about this book was Death actually. Since Death has to be personally present at the death of a wizard, we get to see a lot of him showing up around Rincewind. Death, much like Harry Potter in book five, has given into CAPSLOCK.

This book has all the elements of a classic fantasy story, wizards, heros, sword fights, dragons, magic, trolls, tree nymphs, with the bonus addition of a piece of luggage that has a hundred little feet and can eat people. The book is also very witty and sarcastic at times, so I felt right at home. I would not say that it was a "great" book in the way that the Lord of the Rings books are great, however, any book that honestly makes me lol is worth a look.

I didn't write down a bunch of quotes like last time, my reading notebook seems to have wandered off - maybe Jack hid it..... But I just flipped through to what I think may be the best line of the book:

"No, what he didn't like about heroes was that they were usually suicidally gloomy when sober and homicidally insane when drunk."

No comments:

Post a Comment