Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Books are good company


I finished Nabokov's Butterfly by Rick Gekoski last week.

Ok, ever since I picked up A Gentle Madness, I have found books that are about books very interesting. I like reading about rare books and the passion that some people devote to collecting and preserving them. Gekoski describes a book in each chapter that he has come across in his rare book dealing. There is a lot of insight into the history of the authors. Lolita, the Hobbit, Harry Potter, Animal Farm, and the Satanic Verses are all included.

I guess I don't have too much to say about this one. It was a good read for sure. One quote:"Because there's nothing as reassuring and reliable as a book. I don't mean physically, though books resist the passage of time considerably better than humans do, but emotionally. Books are good company, their presence brightens up a room: they become a difining feature of one's personal landscape."

I left Zipporah at my mom's so I dont know when I'll finish that one. However, I picked up the Slynx by Tatyana Tolstaya the other day and am 30 pages away from finishing. Sneak peak - I think it is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment