Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A pearl of fasinating tales


Oy oy oy trying to keep up with myself.

I picked up this book: Once Again to Zelda: the stories behind literature's most intriguing dedications by Marlene Wagman-Geller, becase I really enjoy reading about books. But I was really dissapointed in it.

The book goes through many different books and explains the dedications behind them. The material is very interesting, and I learned a lot about different authors and their backgrounds. What I did not like about the book was the fact that the author felt compelled to include the cheesiest, sappiest sentiments. For example, in the chapter on McCuller's The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, the last sentence is: "Maybe in the next world, unlike this one, her heart no longer had to be "a lonely hunter"." ack ack ack ack ack. Stuff like that makes me want to hurl. And she puts stuff like that in a least twice a chapter. Ugh.

I'd rather read a biography on any of these authors than read this book again. Although maybe if I cut out the begining and the ends of each chapter I could forgo the gagging.

No comments:

Post a Comment