Tuesday, April 21, 2009

French Milk

I picked up French Milk by Lucy Knisley along with I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley the day before I left for Italy. French Milk is described as a comic journal. It's the story of a girl who goes to Paris with her mother and lives there for a little over a month.

I've actually been meaning to pick this up for awhile. I stumbled across Lucy's blog one day and love her artwork. Her website is lucyknisley.com; check it out she's pretty awesome. She makes me giggle and want to kick myself into my own creative frenzy.

Anyway, back to her book. I liked it. I did feel like she didn't really deliver on the coming of age turmoil/deeper issues of facing adulthood, but she got me super excited about travelling and (sort of) excited about growing up. And really made me want to try fois gras. Her drawings were wonderful and the photos were beautiful. I read this in only a couple hours and then passed it on to my mom. She said she really enjoyed it too.

Perfect book if you are going to Europe and want a quick read to get you in the mood.

1 comment:

  1. I reviewed French Milk a while back and felt the same way- cute but light-as-a-cream-puff. Not that there's anything wrong with that! But I was a little disappointed that it wasn't a little deeper. But it's cute, like you said, and very French. :-)

    ReplyDelete