Thursday, April 2, 2009

Book Meme

1. Hardback, trade paperback or mass market paperback? I'd go with trade paper if it is something that's been around awhile. I grab hardback's if they're new.

2. Barnes & Noble or Borders? I worked at Barnes & Noble (and still do during holidays) so I got to go with them. Plus the one I work at is one of the biggest in the US and one of five (or four, cannot remember) with a used book section. And they have some of the best people to work with.

3. Bookmark or dog-ear? bookmarks, which don't have to be real bookmarks. My book here at work has a post-it

4. Amazon or brick and mortar? real deal baby

5. Alphabetize by author or alphabetize by title or random? This is a big deal. Right now I don't like how my books are organized because I just have too many for the bookcases I have. I tried to do alphabetical but then I would find another box of books and get really frustrated. Right now, in two of my bookcases I have them mostly alphabetical, with poetry and plays separate. I also have a bookcase that is pretty random. The one in my room has all my Russian lit, alphabetical, and favorite books, arranged randomly.

6. Keep, throw away, or sell? keep

7. Keep dust jacket or toss it? Keep that sucker.

8. Read with dust jacket or remove it? I usually just leave them on.

9. Short story or novel? I read more novels but I love a good short story. Nine Stories is one of my favorites.

10. Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket? don't even get me started on how much I love Harry Potter.

11. Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks? If I have to stop I do so at chapter breaks or at least when there is a break in the chapter. Although I have a hard time stopping.

12. "It was a dark and stormy night" or "Once upon a time"? "Once upon a time"

13. Buy or borrow? Nine times out of ten I buy. Every now and then I borrow, but usually only from my dad or my friend Liz.

14. New or used? I love used books.

15. Buying choice: book reviews, recommendations, or browse? Browsing mostly. I'll go on recommendations from a few people with similar tastes every now and then. I have picked up some from book reviews, but not a whole lot.

16. Tidy ending or cliffhanger? hm I like endings that aren't quite tidy, but I wouldn't call them cliffhangers. I really don't know how to describe it other than how Foer's novels tend to end. Or Catcher in the Rye. I'm not sure.

17. Morning reading, afternoon reading, or nighttime reading? I am usually reading any time I'm not at work or around my friends.

18. Stand-alone or series? Both.

19. Favorite series? Harry Potter

20. Favorite children's book? The Giving Tree

21. Favorite YA book? The Giver

22. Favorite book of which nobody else has heard? hm, Winkie by Chase

23. Favorite books read last year? A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Smith, On Writing - King, A Gentle Madness - Basbanes, The Collector - Fowles, In Cold Blood - Capote, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Foer, Wuthering Heights - Bronte, A Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing - Bank, and the Twilight books.

24. Favorite books of all time? The Master and Margarita - Bulgakov, Pride and Prejudice - Austen, Cat's Cradle - Vonnegut, Anna Karenina - Tolstoy, and The Sound and the Fury - Faulkner.

25. What are you reading right now? Consider the Lobster and other essays by Wallace, The Stuff of Thought (still!) by Pinker, and I just started Grendel by Gardner

26. What are you reading next? Lord Byron's Novel: The Evening Land by Crowley, Rabbit, Run by Updike, and War And Peace by Tolstoy (my man).

28. Favorite book to reread? Pride and Prejudice or HP

29. Do you ever smell books? Sometimes.

30. Do you ever read Primary source documents? um not really

1 comment:

  1. great post. i love your taste. tree grows in brooklyn was one of my faves the year i read it, probably one of my all time faves. it's one of those books it seems like everyone except me read as a child, but when i read it it didn't seem like a kid's book. but it's absolutely a classic! :-)

    ReplyDelete